Let me just say it has been a minute since I filmed a real video. Sure, I've done some Instavideos (okay, two...), but nothing major.
I wanted to do something super simple for you, inspired by the fact that I've worn so little makeup over the past month or two since I've moved to LA & been settling in. Don't get me wrong, there's rarely a day I go without altogether, but sometimes you just want enough to get by, you know?
I've discovered my "basic, no-effort" makeup to be without contour, eyeshadow, or liner. The liner is the toughest part because you really get used to what a set of eyes looks like with liner, so when suddenly it's not there it looks either super tired or just plain weird. I've decided I don't want my most-natural-but-still-some-makeup face to look super-tired or weird, so I've gone no-liner a lot lately to get people (okay, myself) used to seeing me without it.
Bonus: no liner + no shadow + no contour = less time! My "just to get by" makeup is now 10 minute makeup (or less!).
See it in this quick video below, and I'll talk it out with you below that if you're not a video kind of gal.
(By the way... want to help me out majorly? Click through to YouTube and comment and/or thumbs up on my video! You're the best.)
10 Minute Makeup
1. Start with a primer that's good for your skin type. Mine tends to be dry, so I'm using a hydrating primer: MAC Prep + Prime Natural Radiance Illuminating Base. If you have oily skin or large pores, I suggest Benefit POREfessional or Too Faced Primed & Poreless. If you have normal skin, I'm a fan of Smashbox Photo Finish or Photo Finish light. True story: most drugstore primers don't do the trick. Sorry!
2. Grab your favorite foundation brush and apply it with your fingers or a brush. I'm using Make Up For Ever UltraHD Foundation Stick, which goes on a little thick, so I'm using a brush to spread it around and buff it into my skin. I love using my fingers for something lighter like a BB cream or a CC cream.
3. Conceal away! I'm using Urban Decay Naked Skin concealer and I apply it in a large triangle under my eyes for highlighting purposes. Give it a try! I'm blending it in with the Real Techniques sponge, which is just as good if not better than the Beauty Blender and less than half the price. I won't ever be able to justify using a beauty blender again. If you don't have a good sponge, use your ring finger to pat it in (and maybe don't use quite as much concealer as I did).
I'm also using this concealer + sponge to hide my blemishes. I'm not looking for flawless coverage here, because that would take more time and more makeup; I'm just looking to hide them a bit.
4. Set everything with a fine-milled translucent powder. I'm using NYX HD Studio Photogenic Finishing Powder and a Sigma F35 Tapered Highlighter brush. You can use another fluffy brush or a powder puff to do this if you want. I have dry skin and don't usually need to set my entire face, but I like to set my concealer so it doesn't disappear or crease under my eyes.
5. Grab your favorite blush and throw it on; I'm using Revlon blush in Classy Coral and a Morphe M405 brush. It's blush, guys; you don't need to go fancy, just make sure it's blended in.
6. Since my makeup is super simple, I like to throw a highlighter in there to give my cheeks & brows a little glow. Of course I would pick the highlighter that looks orange on camera (why!?); I'm using Girlactik Beauty Face Glow in Natural. My all-time favorite is theBalm Mary-Lou Manizer, so if you can get your hands on that you're golden (but a little goes a long way!). Mine broke just before I moved, and I cried.
7. It's brow time! I find myself wholely dissatisfied with my brows these days, and it's probably because I haven't had them waxed in two months. I also feel like my go-to Anastasia Brow Wiz (which I'm using here, in Taupe) is a little too warm for me right now. Sephora was out of medium ash, so I picked up the Dip Brow in ash brown instead, but that would be too complicated for a 10-minute makeup look.
8. Pop on your favorite mascara; mine right now is Benefit Roller Lash. Curl your lashes if you want! The more you can see them, the better this look will be. Bright eyed is good!
9. Last, grab your favorite lip color. For a simple look like this, I like to stick to a simple lip, too. I'm using L'Oreal Nude Balm in Heavenly Berry, which is my go-to purse color when I'm out & feeling bare.
See that? 10 minute makeup, fewer than 10 steps. It's simple, it's workable, and you'll look put-together without much effort. Enjoy!
What's the one step you can never skip when you're doing your makeup?
Looking for more beauty resources?
Join the Band of Beauties for full, free access to the Beauty Resource Library. You'll get goodies like 100 Beauty Tips to Make You a Pro and much more!